Saturday, August 15, 2015

Missha Pure Source Aloe Sheet Mask


Hey dolls! Today's mask is from Missha, a very popular Korean brand. One of my favorite masks evar are from Missha, so it boggles the mind why the fuck I never bothered to try this one before now XD Missha is best known for their First Time Essence (I have yet to try it XD) which has been called Holy Grail by many a AB enthusiast.

It's the mask so nice, I bought it twice! /sarcasm I got one in my May Mask Maven pouch, and before that I bought a pack of three on eBay for $4.14. So I had four of these suckers just laying around!

Seriously though...idk why it took so long to try it XD

Missha didn't have much to say about the mask:
Soft 100% pure cotton sheet mask soaked with essence derived from natural ingredients. 
Contains Aloe extract for soothing and moisturizing benefits. 
Great for sensitive and troubled skin.
It's pretty much what the back of the package said (like the only English part XD).

I had high hopes for this mask... besides being in love with another mask from them, I happen to really love aloe vera. My skin loves it. I usually have really great results from using masks with aloe in them, especially as the featured ingredient. A bonus, really; since aloe isn't really an exotic ingredient they tend to be a good buy, even for the cheaper brands.

Or so I thought.
Not again!!!! Wahhh T_T

So to get back on track, today's featured ingredient is aloe! Let's be honest: aloe is stuffed in featured in a lot of masks that we all know and love... and sometimes rank higher in the ingredients list that the actual featured ingredient. Let's see how this mask fares in the ingredient arena:
Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Ethanol, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Betaine, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Lippia Citriodora Leaf Extract, Allantoin, Diethoxyethyl Succinate, Trideceth-9, Phenyltrimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cyclodextrin, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Chlorphenesin, Fragrance
Not too bad... although, umm... why is aloe listed like that, instead of by its scientific name?? A little odd, no?
Umm, should I be worried about that??
Anyway, aloe vera has been used by humans for thousands of years. It has been known as a common remedy for burns, wounds, skin irritations, and, umm, even constipation. It contains a shit load (hahaha totally got the pun afterwards XD) of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and other goodies. It's no slouch, meng. It's in, like, everything skin care related. Everyone and their mamma knows about it and has used something with it in their lifetime. Almost guaranteed XD Interesting side fact: aloe has many synonyms. It's also grown pretty much all over the world.

It's pretty popular in other forms too: I've seen a lot of aloe drinks. Very popular with Asian folks and yuppies alike. I'm not really a fan of the straight up juice....it's fucking weird, to be frank. I will say that the ones with infused flavors are better (mango, lychee, etc). The chunks of aloe floating in your drink are an acquired taste; if ya hate bubble tea because of the texture, then you'll definitely hate an aloe drink XD

Enough aloe talk. On to the review!


TL;DR: 

Mask 411: Thick. cheap feeling, decently soaked in essence. Smelled nice.
Mask fit: Standard non-fit with slits -__-
Did it work as advertised? Not really, no.
Overall rating? This mask was meh.


Mask details: The mask was thick and cheap feeling! Boo. It was decently soaked in essence and there was lots of essence left in the package, so there's that I guess. It smelled nice. I'd say it had a generic sheet mask-y smell.

Mask Fit: Ugh, the standard non fit with fucking slits all over the place. This stopped an inch or so short of my ears (a little smaller than I expected).

First Impression: This mask almost didn't get much of a review. When I put it on initially, it tingled a lil around the lips. I got a lil scared nervous, but it was ok after a minute or so XD It dried pretty fast... lasted about 20 minutes before it started to unstick and flutter at the cheek edges. And if that weren't enough, my fase felt kinda...dry when I took it off.

Yeah. Totes a bummer, y'all.

So I continued my routine, doubled up on my snail gel + used a sleeping pack. I was not happy.

Final thoughts:

Nope.
Not even a smidgen.
What a waste of time.
You know what? This mask was a complete letdown, My heart sank as soon as I took the mask out the pack. It felt thick: usually a bad sign for a sheet mask. The thinner the mask, the better it is at controlling the evaporation, it seems. The Honey Butter mask is a great contrast to this. It was thin and it lasted a much longer time than this one did. This must be a lower end mask line of theirs. But for the $2 most places are selling them for, they should be a little better, huh?

Yeah, ok.
Totally not worth it, guise. Just say no to this line. This is a letdown. I love the butter mask so so much... how can two masks from one brand be so drastically different?!? T_T

Was it Welcome to Korea or Beauty Friends bad?? Not even close. But if you fail at moisturizing, you fail as a sheet mask. End of fucking story. It makes me believe there just wasn't enough aloe in it, or one of the other ingredients just nullified its usefulness.  I'm thinking of using the few left to try doing some DIY infusions with honey or tomatoes... something to get some benefit out of them. I wouldn't feel right giving these to anyone (because, who do I dislike enough to give them to?), but if I can repurpose it why the hell not?

Have you used this (I know you have if you got the May MM pouch!)? What did you think? Let me know!

Until next sheet mask adventure,

xoxoxox

Deena

1 comment:

  1. Dude I just tried it and in about 12 minutes I took it off because it tangled and it's like my all face was hot . It's weird because i didn't have any redness or whatsoever

    ReplyDelete

You wanna comment? SHEETASTIC! :D